What an insane day at the Masters Tournament today. There were many strange, odd, crazy, whacky things that happened today. Here’s the list, as best as I can remember.
- Rory McIlory and Phil Mickelson spent more time hitting their second shots off of pine straw than they did off of grass. One of Rory’s drives was so far off line it ended up in the dashboard of a golf cart. Most people didn’t even know there were golf carts at Augusta.
- Adam Scott’s apparel scripting went retro today, with puffy pleated pants. As awkward as it looked, it apparently worked. He’s tied for the lead.
- Tiger and Phil Mickelson chomped gum like mad men!
- John Rahm hit a dead shank on the 8th fairway. The hosel rocket went 90 degrees to his right, into the trees.
The Rahm shank that the broadcast is pretending didn’t happen, for some reasonpic.twitter.com/MecDu6h9Ss
— No Laying Up (@NoLayingUp) April 12, 2019
- #1 golfer in the world, Justin Rose, missed the cut.
- Zach Johnson hit a topped duck-hook 3-wood on the par-5 second hole, right into the gallery. Duck and cover.
- Zach Johnson later accidentally hit his ball on the par-5 13th tee during a practice swing. The ball hit the tee marker and bounced four feet in front of him. He turned to his playing parters and asked, “what happens now?” He’s taking laying up on par-5’s to a whole new level.
- Kiradech Aphibarnrat did a ballerina twirl and fell to the ground after a shot.
- Finally, a (soon to be former) security guy tried to do crowd control as Tiger Woods hit a shot from the trees. He ran (a no-no at the Masters), and slipped. He clipped Tiger’s ankle. Had Tiger’s foot been security planted, that may have put Tiger out for the season. The lady in the background called the security guard “safe.”
After his approach shot on the 14th hole, a security guard makes contact with Tiger Woods. pic.twitter.com/0DNpWn1AkI
— CBS Sports (@CBSSports) April 12, 2019